Monday, July 2, 2012

I Kind of Have a Staph Infection, But It's Totally Cool

First of all, "staph infection" should be taken with a big grain of salt. I don't actually know what has infected the lymph node in my right armpit, but it could be staph, and it could be related to a tiny cut I got around there from shaving, and since I've had this happen before and it actually was staph I wanted to act fast. Staph, after all, acts very fast. It takes no prisoners - well, unless you never give it a chance because you hit it with antibiotics at the first sortie. I don't know why this particular lymph node gets infected relatively easily (this is the 5th time in about 15 years) but it does, and even though I try to keep the area clean and make sure I don't nick the skin in that area when I shave, every so often I notice some soreness and I wonder. My armpit got sore yesterday, it looked slightly red last night, this morning I could feel a hard little pea-sized bump underneath the skin in the painful part, so it was off to urgent care. A mere 2 1/2 hours later (!) I walked out with a bottle of antibiotics and the dream of a staph-free future. Or an infection-free future, anyway.

By all accounts, this had nothing to do with the pregnancy and the antibiotic I was prescribed is about as safe as it's going to get for us knocked-up humans. It was just another fun medical way to spend a morning. And it's an excuse to post this picture of a staph toy - maybe I'll get it for the little one to play with!


Available at Amazon.com or a fine retailer near you!

1 comment:

  1. Staph sucks. It lives in your body at all times and sometimes just gets out of control. I hope the antibiotics work quickly. I love those giant microbes toys! They are so cute in a strange way. I first saw them on thinkgeek.com.

    ReplyDelete