Wednesday, June 13, 2012

MFM Appointment: Legitimately Good News

Despite a super-long wait, my Maternal-Fetal Medicine appointment yielded a host of good news. There continues to be no new bleeding, I'm not contracting, the baby is very active, etc. Here were the main talking points:

- The baby's fine, looking ever-so-slightly larger than average in most measurements, which is good because if he does have to come early we want him to be as big as possible.

- My cervix is still long and closed. They were baffled that I was worried about a measurement of 35mm and said that there was absolutely no reason to be concerned.

- There are still no placental abruptions or sub-chorionic hemorrhages. Thank goodness!

- They did a fetal echocardiogram just for funsies and it was very normal and very boring.

- Are you sitting down? :::pause::: How about now? Okay, so get this: on their very detailed ultrasound machine, looking transvaginally for the most accurate view possible, my placenta is 1 cm away from my cervix. That means it's not a previa anymore.

Whoohoo! Break out the sparkling cider, everybody! Except that means we don't have a good reason for the bleed anymore. I was really leaning toward my OB's guess that it was just the usual previa complication and staying as quiet as possible would help avoid it happening again, but now we're back to square one in terms of unraveling the mystery. My MFM doctor said that he would bet it was somehow related to the original hemorrhage, but also said that there are a million reasons that women bleed in pregnancy and the important thing is that we don't see anything worrisome on the scan right now. This doesn't mean I can start doing back handsprings in celebration (ha! Back handsprings, that's a good one. I think the last time I did a cartwheel was in 1996, and I didn't exactly stick the landing) but it's all good news. It also means that I'm back on the lowest dose possible of Lovenox effective tomorrow morning, yippee.

One more thing. You know how I had unexpectedly lost five pounds as of Monday? On MFM's scale, I had actually only lost two. The nurse said that it was probably just normal variation and I should keep doing what I'm doing. In other words, perhaps I shouldn't have made this Mocha Icebox Cake yesterday? Oh well. I make no apologies. It's delicious!

6 comments:

  1. You've had a lot going on!! I can't imagine how scary the bleeding was...I'm so sorry this happened!
    Great news on how everything is going now. Hopefully the good news will continue and you'll have a smooth ride to 40 weeks. You sure have had a lot of complications.
    Glad things are going better!!!
    The Mocha Icebox Cake sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay, good news! So glad to hear the previa isn't an issue anymore. You enjoy that cake, you've earned it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just caught up. What a scare, but so happy for all the good news! I am hoping and praying you keep getting nothing but good news from now on.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, such good news. I am glad that the appointment went so well!

    ReplyDelete
  5. First off that cake sounds amazing!

    Second I am glad things are going well. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations on no more PP!! So happy you got some good news after all this shit you've been thrown. I hope this is the start to a new trend!

    ReplyDelete