Friday, June 8, 2012

Break Out the Steak, I'm Anemic

Now this is a problem I feel I can handle: my recent bloodwork came back that I am, technically speaking, anemic. I do not have enough iron in my body. Oh noes! Weeping and gnashing of teeth! What does it all mean?

Eh, not much, it turns out. The fact that they took a week to get back to me indicates that it's not anybody's biggest concern. I'm only slightly out of the normal range, and I stopped by the pharmacy for some over-the-counter iron pills that I'll take once a day that should help resolve the problem. I also stopped by the grocery store and made last night burger night, and I'll try to get more iron-rich foods into my diet overall. The funny thing is that in my normal life, I tried to eat vegetarian more days than not, and I've unconsciously continued that habit in my pregnancy. Especially now that the weather's getting warmer, I'm craving lots of cold salads (chickpeas! white beans! chopped hard-boiled eggs on lettuce with ranch dressing!) and meat seems somewhat unappealing. Mmmm, who wants a big bowl of beef stew? Uh, not me. I think I'll try to grill as much as possible.. after all, isn't that what our new Weber is for?

2 comments:

  1. Warning- I've heard the iron pills can have some pretty shitty side effects, if you know what I mean... Hamburger with spinach, anyone?

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you want to get lots of iron, but skip the pills, eat Total. It has 100% of the daily value. That, along with naturally from foods and your prenatal should work. I swear by Total. I used to be constantly anemic.

    ReplyDelete