Thursday, February 9, 2012

Beta #2 and That's Pretty Hard to Miss

My second beta (still only 14-15dpo depending on who you talk to) came back at 164. That's a doubling time of 41.81 hours, but who's counting? I'm very glad that the pregnancy appears to be viable, though of course I am now stressing about my next blood draw on Saturday morning. Today I am pregnant today I am pregnant today I am pregnant... There's always going to be something to worry about.

Because of the whole DVT excitement, I've known about the pregnancy for several days, but I was wondering yesterday whether I would have suspected anything if I had stuck to my plan to not test early. I've felt some waves of nausea intermittently since Monday, my funbags are getting sore and delightfully large, as the congestion from my cold has lessened I've started to notice that I'm smelling everything, and all I want to do is sleep. I could see myself writing off all of those things as some variant of normal, but then this morning at 6:30 AM, my body woke me up in the worst way possible: by sending a message to my brain that said "Hi, you need to get up so you can vomit right now." (And I did once actually sleep through a final exam in college, waking to my roommate shaking my shoulder and saying that my test had started 45 minutes ago. I thought that was a bad way to start the day, but this was worse!) I spent an hour curled up in the fetal position on the bathroom floor wondering why I don't mop it more often, and only after I had heroically crammed a cookie down my gullet did the nausea abate enough to let me take a shower and get to work. I stopped by the fertility clinic on my way in, still feeling shaky, and got my blood drawn for what would have been my first official beta. Now-Charlotte knew why the barfing had happened, but Ideal-Situation-No-Early-Testing-Charlotte would have had to be very stupid indeed to write it off as just another Thursday morning. So yes, I think I would have known, or at least seriously suspected that something was happening even if I had waited for today to test.

The nurses at the clinic suggested a few things, including eating something every 2 hours whether I was hungry or not, keeping food by the bed and having a snack when I get up to use the bathroom in the middle of the night, and said that they would be willing to prescribe onandsetron if it got really bad. I don't want to take drugs if I can avoid it, but we'll see how it goes. In the meantime, positive thoughts for Saturday's blood draw!

4 comments:

  1. Everything sounds like it is off to a great start!! Despite the rocky road you had in the 2ww...I think that baby means business! Hope the DVT stuff gets figured out soon too so you can have a relaxing pregnancy. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  2. YAY for symptoms! Sending you positive thoughts for tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hoping your beta today went great. Thinking of you.

    ReplyDelete