Thursday, October 3, 2013

I'm having a sonohysterogram tomorrow?

You know how sometimes nothing happens for a long time and then everything starts happening all at once?

When we last left off with our story, I was debating between two clinics with very different financial implications and thinking tentatively about an FET between now and next June. Well, two things happened: one is that after a lot of looking at our bank account and the calendar, I'm going with Clinic 1. (I know. The place where I had a bad experience. I will get to this in a moment.) And the second thing is that I got my period - twice.

Wait, what? I bled after childbirth last fall, obviously. But then I started taking the mini-pill (which gives you a continuous low dose of progestin) and I didn't bleed at ALL between December and August 28... when I saw some spotting and immediately got a serious pit in my stomach. The mini-pill only suppresses ovulation in about half of menstrual cycles, and by the end of the day I knew what was up. I was sure it was my fault - I had been late with one pill about two weeks earlier (the first and only time, I swear!) and it was probably a one-off. My doctor had told me that I might have some irregular bleeding while I was taking it, but this wasn't light and it wasn't much fun. I mean, I've dealt with endometriosis cramps for years and pre-diagnosis I was pretty stoic about it because I thought it was normal, but now that I know it isn't normal and that every time I bleed it's literally damaging my body on the inside, I have much less patience for the whole process.

Still, the bleeding only lasted a week, and then we were back to our regularly scheduled programming. I was so confident that this was an isolated event that I didn't even have any supplies on me when, 29 days later, I noticed that - oh sh*t - I had gotten my period again. Once could have just been a mistake. Twice was a pattern. Looks like the game has changed, and the mini-pill is no longer providing me the protection I thought it would. Touché, body, touché.

Given this new information and after discussion with my OB-Gyn, my RE, and my insurance, I have decided to proceed with a FET cycle for December. Which means that in the coming weeks, I need to survive at least one consult appointment, a sonohysterogram, several blood draws, probably three transvaginal ultrasounds to check my uterine lining, and the actual transfer itself at Clinic 1. And that sonohysterogram is taking place TOMORROW.

To say that my feelings about starting this process again are mixed is obviously an understatement. Part of me is terrified about what's coming. Part of me is simply bewildered that it's happening again so soon. And part of me is oddly satisfied that I get to return to the scene of the crime, as it were. Of course I don't want to do any of this, nobody does. But as bad as it has been to be Clinic 1's patient, at least I'm not facing the additional guilt of writing big checks and asking people to take time off work to drive me, tripping on valium, to and from procedures at Clinic 2. I don't have to explain myself as much at Clinic 1 - at Clinic 2 I went to such trouble to introduce myself to the doctor and nurses as a patient who might need a little more accommodation and hand-holding and their sympathy mostly just made me feel embarrassed. Now I'm just planning on keeping my head down, talking as little as possible with everyone I encounter, and hopefully getting out of Clinic 1 with a healthy pregnancy. My expectations are different; I know that terrible things are going to happen to my body and I know I'm not going to get any sympathy for that so I might as well stop stalling and get on with it. I'm trying to work more on self-reliance and not falling apart at the drop of a hat, and this decision is part of that effort.

One more thing before I sign off: it occurs to me that when I mention trauma and traumatic events in my past, I should be clear that I am not referring to sexual abuse or assault. There are survivors of both who are close to my heart and I would never want to minimize any of their experience. Trauma occurs in many ways and for many reasons; my sympathies and support go out to out to anyone who struggles with any of it.


2 comments:

  1. Holy crap. This is happening! WOW! Your head must be spinning. Mine sure is!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! I can't imagine what is going brought your head. It's happening... I hope the tests go smoothly for you. Good luck tomorrow!!

    ReplyDelete